Monthly Archives: November 2012
Things I should be doing in game that have been woefully-neglected due to pet battles/collection:
- Heroic Dungeons
- Capping (or even coming close) my Valor Points
- Earning gold through my professions
- Appropriate daily exercise
- Proper nutrition, hygiene
- Leaving this chair
I (might be) exaggerating there at the end… or not. 😉
I thought this was going to be several weeks down the line, but I guess persistence won out: today I completed the Pandaren Spirit Tamer quest. As my reward, I selected the Pandaren Earth Spirit pet, who I named Agnetha. I named “her” after a member of the Swedish super-group ABBA because I had the song “Mamma Mia” stuck in my head the whole time I was researching/choosing the pet I was going to select. So, apropos. Ooh, I think I’ll name the remaining ones after members of ABBA as well. Suh-weet!
I selected the Pandaren Earth Spirit as my first (guaranteed) pet because there is some speculation that the pet type drop in the dailies bags is tied to the type of Spirit you’re battling. In that case, the Thundering Pandaren Spirit was by far the most difficult (and most reliant on RNG), and I’d like to not hit him up again anytime soon.
I managed to complete the dailies for the other three however, and I still spent a few Pet Bandages to keep things quick but it all worked out pretty well. Alas, no stroke of luck for me tonight, so no additional Spirit Pets for the moment. At some point in the near future, I’ll write up a guide of what pets I used for each boss.
The Major Payne pet battle quest in Northrend is known to be one of the most difficult in the game. He did indeed live up to his gimmicky name! After numerous tries and team compositions, I finally settled on a group that works:
- Clockwork Gnome (25 Rare, HP: 1546, Pwr: 257, Spd: 289) – Spells: Metal Fist, Blitz, Build Turret
- Lil’ Ragnaros (25 Rare, HP: 1400, Pwr: 374, Spd: 211) – Spells: Sulfuras Smash, Conflagrate, Flamethrower
- Huge Toad (25 Rare, HP: 1709, Pwr: 273, Spd: 244) – Spells: Water Jet, Healing Wave, Frog Kiss
I line ’em up so that Clockwork Gnome comes out first, and re-engage Major Payne until Grizzle goes first. Turrets go up first and again on cooldown, with Metal Fist in-between. I find no use for Blitz in this pairing, but it can come in handy if he lives to fight one of the others. I find that, unless everything goes wrong, Grizzle dies during his hibernation, and then usually Beakmaster X-225 is next. Mechanical vs. Mechanical is not usually a great pairing, but when/if Clockwork goes down I sub in Lil’ Ragnaros, whose Flamethrower + Conflagrate does heavy damage. And I save Huge Toad for last, and basically spam Frog Kiss for its damage increase with each hit and possible transform. Usually Bloom doesn’t get a chance to play for very long!
So that’s my winning team. Feel free to post your winning teams, or let me know if this or a similar comp worked well for you!
When I heard on Monday that Patch 5.1 was going to be released on Tuesday, I nearly flipped my lid. You don’t know me well by now (unless you’re from the future and reading archives), but I’m a bit of a pet battle… um, what’s the word to describe me…. oh yeah: a bit of a pet battle psycho, so 5.1 includes a lot of new features for me. Here’s a brief rundown of my day:
First, I scored two family-based Flawless Battle-Stones from pet dailies. Used them to upgrade my Restless Shadeling (“Despirito”) and Wanderer’s Festival Hatchling. I’m kind of regretting not using the aquatic to raise my Tiny Goldfish named “Ponyo“. Ah well.
I also started on the Pandaren Spirit quest, which involves fighting the legendary teams of four Pandaren Spirits. I managed to take down the Burning Pandaren Spirit’s team after about 6 or 7 attempts. So difficult! It really all comes down to luck with dodges, as those guys hit HARD and if you don’t avoid a few of their hits your pets are going to die. I thought I had written down the team comp I used, but I cannot seem to find the scribbled notes. I’ll leave a comment if I find it. I had zero luck with the Thundering Pandaren Spirit, but I’ll need to figure something out for the rest of them eventually. There ARE four pets on the line here! I can’t imagine doing the daily for these every day in the mere hopes that one of the remaining three (you get one for finishing the quest at first, and then there’s a chance to have another in your Sack of Pet Goods).
Pet drops in old world raids? Hells yes! My tally? Molten Core: Zero. Blackwing Lair: Zilch. Naxxramas: Zip. Grrrrr. I’m dreading running Temple AQ and coming up empty-handed. A friend of mine scored a couple pets in Naxx, including Mr. Bigglesworth who, according to official info, is the award for acquiring ALL of the available raid pets, not a drop from KT. I’m way jealous!
I did manage to capture a few of the new battle pets, my favorite of which you can see above. Lil Green Eyes, my new Kun-Lai Runt – isn’t he adorable? The total list is as follows (in order of my memory):
- Kun-Lai Runt – Level 22 – Poor (awwww)
- Eternal Strider – Level 22 – Rare
- Lofty Libram – Level 7 – Common
- Arcane Eye – Level 16 – Uncommon
- Infinite Whelpling – Level 16 – Common (my boyfriend helped me tap this one when he discovered he could not beat them. Logged off and allowed me the respawn!)
- Fluxfire Feline – Level 1 – Common
- Anodized Robo Cub – Level 17 – Common
Wow! 7 new pets! I hadn’t realized it was so many. I had been so bummed about the raid pets that the captured ones just didn’t keep my attention. A few other things bummed me out today:
- The 3000 gold I received in the mail today for completing the Taming the World achievement appears to have removed itself from the remainder of my gold. I cannot remember spending that much gold today. Hmmmm.
- The Safari Hat I was sooo looking forward to (in order to promote my progress on Pro Pet Mob), was nowhere to be found. I’ve read online that it appears to be a bug that some players are experiencing.
- Pet battle XP appears to have been either nerfed, or bugged. I’m getting far less XP while leveling pets up than I did yesterday. Battles that would normally yielding me 480 XP are not giving half that. It’s weird, and I hope it’s just a glitch and not Blizzard’s attempt to quietly slow us power-levelers down.
Gosh, that’s all I can remember for now. I should be asleep right now, preparing for Day 2. Hoping the rolling restarts this morning at 7:00 AM PST fix some of my issues!
Welcome to Warrior Wez, my attempt to regularly recount my experiences in World of Warcraft! In real life I’m a thirty-something woman working in project management, but in game I play a Level 90 female Worgen Arms Warrior, and I’ve been playing since January of 2009. I came into WoW without any experience in MMO’s, or any sort of RPG’s. Heck, I didn’t even know what “DPS” or “aggro” meant until I was nearly Level 80. Am I a tank? What’s a “tank”?
I could go on and on about my experiences leveling as a complete noob ,and I may do so in future posts, but I’ll keep this short and sweet for now. With the 5.1 Mists of Pandaria Landfall patch, there are a lot of very exciting things happening, and I’m eager to talk about them! Thanks for reading, and again – welcome!